Spring is finally here! Time to lighten up our wardrobe and perhaps our diets too? Just like you spring clean your home you can spring clean your diet to get you feeling back in tip top shape. Especially if you feel like you’ve been hibernating all winter and need to shed some layers and some weight. The best way to do this is to take a close look at the foods you are eating. Try to add more vegetables into your diet and take out the sugar! Here are my top 5 ways to clean up your diet for spring.
- Drink more water and avoid beverages with added sugar. You can add fruit slices such as cucumber, orange or lemon to still or sparkling water to add some flavor without adding sugar or chemical sweeteners.
- Eat more greens. As in kale, arugula, spinach, romaine lettuce… Lettuces are at their peak in spring and early summer so take advantage of this superfood.
- Avoid sugar! Sugar wreaks havoc on our diets, the sooner you can cut back the better.
- Avoid packaged and processed foods and reach for whole foods that don’t come with an ingredients list.
- Eat healthy fats such as avocados, olive oil, nuts and salmon…they are packed full of nutrients and are satiating so this will help you keep cravings at bay.
The benefits of eating clean? Weight loss… better sleep… more energy… boosts your immune system… healthy eyes, hair and skin… better mood. Do you need any other reasons to start cleaning up your diet? Happy Spring!